By Brittany Daggs – Front Desk Manager and Resident Vegan
A vegan diet can be one of the healthiest ways to live.
Plant-based diets should contain plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, beans, legumes, nuts and seeds. Because vegan diets often rely heavily on these healthy staples, they tend to be higher in vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals, and fibre. Healthy vegan diets are abundant with vitamins B1, C, and E, folic acid, magnesium, and iron while also being low in cholesterol and saturated fat.
There are so many unique reasons someone might choose to adopt a vegan lifestyle. When thinking about transitioning to veganism it’s important to ponder your morals and the reasons why this lifestyle speaks to you. A big lifestyle change is easier to sustain if you wholeheartedly believe in your decision. Think about the standards you hold yourself accountable to, and what guides you as you decide what is right and what is wrong.
- 4 cups vegan marshmallows (I recommend mini, as they melt more quickly)* I use dandies
- 5 cups rice krispies
- 3 tbsp vegan butter*I use Earth Balance
- 2 tsp matcha powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- Microwave method: microwave butter and marshmallows in a large, microwave safe bowl at 15 second intervals until fully melted. Stir in between intervals, and keep an eye on it so it doesn’t overflow.
- Stovetop method: on low heat, melt marshmallows and butter, stirring constantly. It can easily burn using this method, so keep an eye on it, and stir often.
- Once the marshmallow and butter mixture is melted, sift in matcha powder, add vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- In a large mixing bowl, add rice krispie cereal, and fold in melted marshmallow mixture with a spatula until evenly combined.
- Transfer mixture into an 8×8 square baking dish lined with parchment paper, and allow to cool and set